• 305-358-1500 Miami-Dade
  • 954-406-1833 Broward
  • 561-393-7400 Palm Beach County
  • 888-810-6621 Toll Free
Serving Businesses And Individuals Worldwide

What young people need to know about DACA - II

In our last post, we began discussing how important it is for young people to understand that the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program is still very much an option despite the recent decision by the Supreme Court of the United States in U.S. v. Texas.

We also discussed the many advantages offered by the DACA program -- two-year reprieve from removal, eligibility for work authorization, etc. -- and the requirements set forth by USCIS to try to seek relief under the program. 

We'll continue this conversation in today's post, providing answers to some of the more common questions young people have concerning what type of proof must be submitted in order to demonstrate that they satisfy the DACA program's initial filing requirements.

How do I prove that I came to the U.S. prior to my 16th birthday?

USCIS indicates that a person can prove that they came to the U.S. prior to their 16th birthday by providing a copy of things like school records from institutions attended in the U.S., medical records, travel records, employment records, passports with admission stamps, driver's license receipts, and more. Indeed, the agency will even accept copies of things like money order receipts demonstrating money transfers into and out of the country.

How do I prove that I have continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007?

The list of accepted documents demonstrating continuous residence is perhaps as equally informal, providing applicants with a host of records that can be submitted. For example, all of the above-mentioned documents are acceptable along with birth certificates of any U.S. born children, tax receipts, insurance policies, and official records from religious ceremonies, among others.

How do I prove that I meet the education requirements?

This is a relatively simple requirement, as the applicant really only has three options: a copy of their high school diploma/certificate of completion, a copy of their GED certificate or a copy of their current school records (report cards, transcripts, etc.).

Given these and the other extensive filing requirements that must be satisfied under the DACA program, young people should seriously consider consulting with an experienced legal professional when applying. Indeed, the same can also be said for anyone looking to secure a visa to come to the U.S. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Headquartered in Miami, Since 1976
Email us for a response

Get Started On Your Immigration Solutions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A.
1401 Brickell Avenue
Suite 300
Miami, FL 33131

Toll Free: 888-810-6621
Phone: 954-406-1833
Phone: 305-358-1500
Phone: 561-393-7400
Fax: 305-358-1921
Miami Law Office Map