• 305-358-1500 Miami-Dade
  • 954-406-1833 Broward
  • 561-393-7400 Palm Beach County
  • 888-810-6621 Toll Free
Serving Businesses And Individuals Worldwide

How much do you know about bringing your betrothed to the U.S.?

Virtually anyone who has decided to take a walk down the aisle would tell you that while they wouldn't change anything about their special day, getting everything in order was nothing short of exhausting and nerve-wracking. Indeed, the reality is that most weddings now involve months of painstaking preparation, as the happy couple must do everything from pick a venue and write their vows to finalize a menu and plan their honeymoon.  

As hectic as all this can prove to be, consider the added stress facing those U.S. citizens who are seeking to bring their foreign national fiancé here to get married and must secure what is known as a K-1 nonimmigrant visa.

What is the K-1 nonimmigrant visa?

The K-1 nonimmigrant visa -- otherwise known as the fiancé visa -- allows a foreign national fiancé to enter the country for 90 days for the purpose of attending their marriage ceremony.

How does a person secure a K-1 nonimmigrant visa?

The U.S. citizen seeking to bring their foreign national fiancé to our nation's shores must file the Form I-129F, otherwise known as the Petition for Alien Fiancé.

What has to be shown on the petition to secure a K-1 nonimmigrant visa?  

The petitioner will need to demonstrate 1) they are a U.S. citizen, 2) they intend to hold the marriage ceremony within 90 days of the foreign national fiancé entering the country, and 3) both they and their foreign national fiancé are not currently married and all previous marriages have been legally terminated (divorce, annulment, death, etc.).

In addition, the petitioner must be able to demonstrate that they've met their foreign national fiancé in person at least one time in the two years prior to the filing of the petition. However, there are two exceptions to this final requirement.

We will continue this discussion in our next post.

If you have questions regarding the K-1 nonimmigrant visa or concerns regarding another family immigration matter, please consider speaking with an experienced legal professional as soon as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Headquartered in Miami, Since 1976
Email us for a response

Get Started On Your Immigration Solutions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A.
1401 Brickell Avenue
Suite 300
Miami, FL 33131

Toll Free: 888-810-6621
Phone: 954-406-1833
Phone: 305-358-1500
Phone: 561-393-7400
Fax: 305-358-1921
Miami Law Office Map