Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A. - Miami and Boca Raton Immigration Attorneys Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A. - Miami and Boca Raton Immigration Attorneys
Call us with questions
305-358-1500 Miami-Dade
561-393-7400 Palm Beach County
954-406-1833 Broward
888-810-6621 Toll Free

August 2015 Archives

Birthright citizenship: politicians reigniting debate

Many people in Florida are familiar with the theory of birthright citizenship. This means that if someone is born in the U.S., he or she is automatically granted citizenship (though there are some specific exceptions). Even if a baby is born to parents who are not lawful permanent residents in the U.S., the baby will be considered a citizen. This birthright citizenship is addressed and protected by the 14th Amendment.

A difficult journey: young people and the road to deportation

People from other countries regularly come to the U.S. with the intention of reuniting with family members. Many of these immigrants are young people who are looking to escape a dangerous or undesirable situation in their home country and come to the U.S. to find a parent or other relative and a better life.

When companies look outside the U.S. for hiring skilled workers

We live in an increasingly globalized world. Thus, more and more, companies with operations here in the U.S are looking across national borders when deciding what things they want to bring into their U.S. business operations. This includes what professional talent to bring in.

Understanding the requirements for a dependency order

There are multiple paths to permanent residence in the United States. For some young people, that route includes petitioning for dependency. We touched on this subject over a year ago when there was an influx of minors entering the U.S. unaccompanied by adults. In that post we mentioned that those individuals, many of whom came from Central American countries, might be able to secure a dependency order if they were able to show that they had been neglected, abused or abandoned.

What is labor certification?

If you have come or want to come to the U.S. to work but are not a citizen, you will need to go through several steps to do so in accordance with the law. Depending on the type of work you will be doing, you will need to secure a visa that will allow you work in this country temporarily or permanently.