• 305-358-1500 Miami-Dade
  • 954-406-1833 Broward
  • 561-393-7400 Palm Beach County
  • 888-810-6621 Toll Free
Serving Businesses And Individuals Worldwide

The clock is ticking if you are marrying a non-US citizen

Getting engaged is an exciting time in anyone's life, but it can also be quite stressful. Planning a wedding can take a lot of time, energy and money and it can put enormous pressure on the two people getting married.

If two people are living in different countries before they get married, then the wedding can be an even more exciting and stressful event. This is because there are additional considerations and strict timelines regarding citizenship that must be taken into account.

For example, if you are engaged to a woman who lives in China, it can be very difficult to plan the wedding together and make plans for life after you are married. In this situation, you would be able to apply for a fiancée visa.

A fiancée visa allows a non-US citizen to enter the country legally and stay here to get married. However, the visa will expire after 90 days. There are no extensions, so it is crucial that you have things in order once the visa is issued.

There is also another timeline that must be considered, and that is the two years before you want to apply for a fiancée visa. According to the Department of Homeland Security, you and your fiancee must have met in person at least once during that time in order to be eligible for the visa. There are some exceptions to this rule, but generally speaking, your fiancée may not be eligible for the 90-day visa if you've never met before.

Understanding all the restrictions and rules of bringing a non-U.S. citizen into this country to get married can be very difficult, especially when you are already dealing with the anxiety of being in a long-distance relationship and trying to plan a wedding. Speaking with an attorney can help clarify the options and understand what you need to do in terms of becoming a United States citizen.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Headquartered in Miami, Since 1976
Email us for a response

Get Started On Your Immigration Solutions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A.
1401 Brickell Avenue
Suite 300
Miami, FL 33131

Toll Free: 888-810-6621
Phone: 954-406-1833
Phone: 305-358-1500
Phone: 561-393-7400
Fax: 305-358-1921
Miami Law Office Map