Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A. - Miami and Boca Raton Immigration Attorneys Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A. - Miami and Boca Raton Immigration Attorneys
Call us with questions
305-358-1500 Miami-Dade
561-393-7400 Palm Beach County
954-406-1833 Broward
888-810-6621 Toll Free

Renewal of green card is not guaranteed

In previous posts we have focused on what needs to be done to secure a green card to live in the United States as a permanent resident. Readers should know however, that while a big accomplishment, getting that green card is not necessarily the last time that someone will have to deal with the matter. Since green cards expire after a certain amount of time, if you want to stay in the U.S. you may need to renew your green card.

Holders of green cards should take action approximately six months before the expiration of their card. At that time green card holder should file a Form I-90. This can be done in paper forms or online.

There is likely an assumption that if a green card has been granted in the past, there will not be any issues with a renewal being granted. This is not always the case however. Should the application be denied, a letter containing the reasons for the denial will be sent. In these instances you may be able to get the decision reversed. This is accomplished by filing a motion to reopen with the USCIS. That motion should be accompanied by new evidence that supports the contention. The basis for a denial must be proven to be either an:

  • Incorrect application of immigration policy.
  • Incorrect application of law.

It is possible that this process can be confusing to the person seeking the renewal. Accordingly, assistance from an immigration lawyer may be helpful. This is often the case where immigration matters are concerned.

Source: USICS, “Renew a Green Card,” Accessed Nov. 17, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information