What Type Of Visa Do You Need?

At Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A., our lawyers help individuals and corporations throughout South Florida and worldwide in obtaining all types of visas.

Since 1976, our attorneys have provided competent, diligent and personalized representation. We always keep abreast of the latest developments in the law, and make sure our clients are aware of any changes that may affect their immigration status. As part of our commitment to keeping our clients informed, we have provided some brief information about visa classifications and categories. For more detailed information about visas, please call our Miami office at 305-358-1500.

Visa Classifications And Categories

A wide variety of visas are available as options. The most popular visas are E-1 and E-2 for treaty/trader investors. We also assist many clients with obtaining L-1 visas, H-1B visas for skilled workers and O visas for artists, athletes of others of extraordinary ability. Our immigration lawyers can help you find the best visa category to fit your situation.

Nonimmigrant Visas

These temporary visas allow a person to enter the United States for a specific purpose and fixed amount of time.

  • A: Foreign government officials (and immediate families)
  • B-1: Temporary visitors for business
  • B-2: Temporary visitors for pleasure
  • C: Transit aliens
  • D: Crew members (airlines, cruise lines or private yachts)
  • E-1: Treaty traders (and spouse/child)
  • E-2: Treaty investors (and spouse/child)
  • E-3: Australian specialty occupations/professionals
  • F-1: Academic students
  • F-2: Spouse/child of academic students
  • F-3: Canadian or Mexican commuter academic students
  • G: Representatives of international organizations (and immediate families)
  • H-1B: Employees in specialty occupations/professions
  • H-1B1: Free Trade Agreement workers in a specialty occupation or professional from Chile and Singapore
  • H-1C: Nurses in health professional shortage area
  • H-2A: Workers performing agricultural services
  • H-2B: Workers performing other (nonagricultural) services
  • H-3: Industrial trainees
  • H-4: Spouse/children of individuals with H-1B status
  • I-1: Representatives (and families) of foreign information media
  • J-1: Cultural and exchange visitors
  • J-2: Spouse/children of individuals with J-1 status
  • K-1: Fiancée/fiancé of U.S. citizen
  • K-2: Children of K-1 nonimmigrants
  • K-3: Spouse of U.S. citizen awaiting availability of immigrant visa
  • K-4: Children of K-3 nonimmigrants
  • L-1: Multinational executives or managers of specialized knowledge
  • L-2: Spouse/children of L-1 executives or managers
  • M-1: Vocational students
  • M-2: Spouse/children of vocational students
  • M-3: Canadian or Mexican commuter vocational student
  • N1-7: NATO officials and families
  • O-1: Individuals with extraordinary ability/achievement in science, art, education, business, athletics
  • O-2: Accompanying personnel to O-1 nonimmigrants
  • P-1: Internationally recognized athletes/entertainers
  • P-2: Artists/entertainers in reciprocal cultural exchange program
  • P-3: Artists/entertainers in culturally unique programs
  • P-4: Spouse/children of P-1, P-2 or P-3 nonimmigrants
  • Q-1: Participants in International Cultural Exchange programs
  • R-1: Workers in religious occupations or vocations
  • R-2: Spouse/children of R-1 workers
  • S: Certain aliens supplying critical information to the U.S. government
  • T: Victims of severe human trafficking
  • TN: NAFTA professionals (Canadian and Mexican citizens)
  • U: Victims of criminal activity
  • V-1: Spouse of lawful permanent residents awaiting availability of immigrant visa
  • V-2: Children of lawful permanent residents awaiting availability of immigrant visa
  • V-3: Children of V-1 or V-2 nonimmigrants

Two Main Categories Of Immigrant Visas

There are two common types of immigrant visas: family-based and employment-based. These visas allow a person to come to the United States with the intent to stay permanently.

Family-Based Visas

Spouses of U.S. citizens, children of U.S. citizens and parents of U.S. citizens who are over 21 may apply for family-based visas as immediate relatives. Other family-based immigrant visas include the following preference categories:

  • First preference: unmarried sons and daughters (over 21) of U.S. citizens

  • Second preference: 2A spouses and children (under 21) of persons lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the U.S. and 2B unmarried sons and unmarried daughters (over 21) of persons lawfully admitted for permanent residence

  • Third preference: married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens

  • Fourth preference: brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens

Employment-Based Visas

Employment-based visas are available on the basis of an offered employment relationship. The employment based preferences are as follows:

  • First preference: Priority workers (persons with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, certain multinational executives and managers)

  • Second preference: Members of professions holding advanced degrees (aliens of exceptional ability and persons qualifying for national interest waivers)

  • Third preference: Skilled workers, professionals and other workers

  • Fourth preference: Special immigrants, including religious professionals and other religious occupations, battered spouses and widowed spouses of U.S. citizens

  • Fifth preference: Immigrant investors

Other Avenues For Immigrant Visas

  • Asylees
  • Diversity visa lottery
  • Registry beneficiaries (lived in the U.S. since 1972)
  • Cancellation of removal (can only be granted by an immigration judge)
  • Cuban Adjustment Act

Get Your Complimentary Office Consultation

At Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A., we welcome difficult, complicated, unusual and challenging cases. We have extensive experience in dealing with such matters and encourage you to contact us. We offer a complimentary consultation to discuss your needs. In this consultation, we will listen to your goals and determine your immigration needs. Please call 305-358-1500 or contact our office online.

Se Habla Español