Miami Immigration Attorneys

A Full-Service Immigration Law Firm

In business for almost 35 years, Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A., helps clients throughout South Florida and worldwide with both routine and complex immigration matters. We have dedicated our practice to providing personal representation and sound legal advice to our clients.

We welcome difficult, complicated, unusual and challenging cases. We have many years of experience in dealing with such matters and encourage you to contact us.

Our attorneys have more than 60 years of combined experience in immigration law. We understand the importance of staying current with rapidly changing regulations and policies, and we strive to keep our clients up to date on any new developments or changes in the law.

For a free initial office consultation about your immigration case or matter, please contact our offices in either Miami . Spanish, Portuguese and other language services are available.

Immigration Services Available

Our lawyers have worked with thousands of clients across the globe, including multinational corporations, large and small businesses, skilled and unskilled workers, athletes, artists, entertainers, health care professionals and domestic and household workers.

The legal team of Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A. helps people seeking permanent residence in the U.S. through family-based or employment-based immigration, or through the political asylum process, EB-5 Immigrant Investor Visa or Diversity Visa Lottery; and we help educate employers about the requirements for sponsoring a foreign national for permanent residenc e.

Work Visas

We can help you with your needs involving all of the following types of employment work visa and immigration issues:

  • Temporary worker visas (H-1B) – visas for skilled workers and professionals such as architects, engineers, financial analysts, teachers or any other occupation requiring a bachelor’s degree or equivalent normally as the minimum requirement for the position.
  • Intracompany transfer visas ( executives or managers or specialized knowledge) (L-1)
  • Permanent and temporary labor certifications
  • Business trainees or interns (J-1) :
    • Trainees – requires a program sponsor and that the applicant have a degree and at least one year’s work experience in the field or a total of 5 years work experience. All qualifying experience must be obtained outside of the U.S.
    • Interns – requires the applicant to be currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution (university) outside of the U.S. or graduated within 12 months of the start date.
    • There are several other types of J-1 categories not solely limited to Trainees and Interns for instance Summer and Work Travel Programs, Au Pairs, Teaching Programs, Exchange students.
  • People of outstanding or exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
  • I-9 enforcement matters
  • Employer sanctions (I-9 compliance)

Investor Visas

Family and Student Visas

We also help individuals and families with any of the following:

  • Student visas (F-1) :
    • For individuals seeking to pursue education the U.S. for example:
      • Private school for Kindergarten through Grade 12;
      • College and University Programs for those seeking an Associates Degree Bachelor’s Degree, Doctorate, Law Degree or Medical Degree;
      • Culinary school;
      • Art institutions;
      • English language school.
  • Student visas (M-1) – Students in vocational programs such as Aviation Flight Training
  • Religious workers (R-1) :

    A member of a religious denomination who is coming to the U.S. to work for a bona fide religious organization in a religious profession or occupation.

    For instance, a Minister or equivalent in bona fide religious organization or religious occupation such as a religious study teacher.

  • Fiancée/fiancé visas :

    If you are engaged and your fiancée/fiancé is located abroad anywhere in the world we can represent you and your loved one in obtaining a K visa. From preparing and filing the petition before the Department of Homeland Security to navigating the process with the U.S. Embassy in your loved one’s country of residence we are familiar with the requirements and knowledge of the course of action to take.

  • Family petitions – There are many categories of family based immigration:
    • Immediate relatives – spouse of US Citizen, parent of US Citizen over 21, minor child (under 21) of a US Citizen;
    • First preference – Over 21 year old son or daughter of a US Citizen;
    • Second preference (2A) Spouse and minor children of a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) and (2B) over 21 year old son or daughter of a lawful permanent resident;
    • Third preference – Married son or daughter of a US Citizen;
    • Fourth preference – Brothers and Sisters of US Citizens.

    While Immigrant Visas (Lawful permanent residence or green cards) for Immediate Relatives are unlimited and not subject to a quota, the preference categories are. Our team of Immigration Attorneys can help you seek adjustment of status to lawful permanent residence through a family based petition or through Consular Processing before the U.S. Embassy or Consulate if your relative is overseas.

  • Marriage cases :

    For those married to US Citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents (Green card holders) we can represent you in obtaining Lawful Permanent Residence whether before the local USCIS office or overseas at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. The immigration process can be confusing with the requirements and myriad of forms. It is best to have the benefit of making the right choice from the beginning of your process by choosing Weiss, Alden & Polo to help you and your spouse formulate your plans accordingly to ensure a smooth process. We keep you informed of what to expect, we are honest and provide realistic expectations.

  • Battered spouses :

    The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows any individual, whether female or male, married to a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (Green card holder) who has become the subject of abuse whether physical or extreme mental cruelty to seek permanent residence before the Department of Homeland Security. This process is done without knowledge to the abusive spouse and the DHS takes great precautions to make sure this information remains private so your abusive spouse does not discover your claim.

    Our firm has handled many of these cases in the past. If you feel you may qualify for this type of classification or if you are experiencing any form of abuse or fear such abuse from your spouse, please contact our law firm immediately for a confidential consultation as you may have a claim pursuant to VAWA.

Additional Immigration Services Available

Our legal team also routinely helps clients with immigration matters involving:

  • Consular processing :

    Many individuals do not realize that Immigration Representation also includes representation before the U.S. Embassies and U.S. Consulates around the world and Weiss, Alden and Polo can help. Consular Processing can be frustrating as the procedures and processing times vary from different Embassy locations and can change with very minimal notice. Our firm can assist you in preparation for a temporary visa application of any kind or your Immigrant Visa (Green card) through a permanent job offer or through family based petition. Consular processing also involves the process to file for your spouse or fiancée/fiancé if located overseas.

    If you need assistance with this type of matter or if you have started the case on your own and now feel that you require assistance at whatever stage of the process, please contact our law firm. We are experienced in dealing with the Embassies and we are knowledgeable of the required procedures for all categories of visas to the U.S.

  • Political asylum cases :

    If you fear returning to your home country because you have experienced past persecution or if you have a well-founded fear of future persecution on account of your political opinion, imputed political opinion or membership in a certain political group, please contact us. We can represent you before the Department of Homeland Security should you decide to seek asylum in the U.S. affirmatively or defensively in removal proceedings if you are scheduled for a hearing before the Immigration Court.

    It should be noted that asylum is not just limited to claims on account of political opinion but also on account of religion, social group, nationality or race.

    Asylum cases are serious in nature and most times the individual’s life is at risk if they were to return to their home country. At Weiss, Alden & Polo we recognize the danger the client can be in if forced to return to their country of origin and we represent these cases vigorously. If we represent you in your asylum claim, we will pay careful attention to your case, the country conditions of where you are from and all details pertaining to your matter.

  • Deportation and removal cases
  • National interest waivers :

    If you qualify for a National Interest Waiver, you can self petition or otherwise known as self sponsor for permanent residence.

    National interest waivers are in the EB2 immigrant visa category. The EB2 category includes members of the professions holding advanced degrees, and aliens of exceptional ability in the arts, sciences or business. The category requires evidence that the alien will “substantially” benefit prospectively the national economy, cultural or educational interest, or welfare of the United States.

    National Interest Waiver applicants must demonstrate:

    • • Evidence that the applicant’s work is of national importance and will affect the U.S. as a whole.
    • • Evidence of prior achievements which would justify the projected future benefit of the applicant to the national interest.
    • • Evidence to establish that the national interest would be adversely affected if the beneficiary were required to obtain a labor certification from the Department of Labor.

    If you have questions about whether you qualify for a National Interest Waiver, please contact our firm for a free initial office consultation.

  • Cultural exchange visitors and trainees :
    • Trainees – requires a program sponsor and that the applicant have a degree and at least one year’s work experience in the field or a total of 5 years work experience. All qualifying experience must be obtained outside of the U.S.
    • Interns – requires the applicant to be currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution (university) outside of the U.S. or graduated within 12 months of the start date.
    • There are several other types of J-1 categories not solely limited to Trainees and Interns for instance Summer and Work Travel Programs, Au Pairs, Teaching Programs, Exchange students.
  • Hardship, fraud and criminal waivers :

    Our law firm prepares all categories of waivers. A waiver can be best described as a request for forgiveness from the U.S. Government for a prior immigration violation and is based on certain equities and qualifying relatives depending on the type of waiver. Examples of waivers:

    • Fraud waiver – for an individual who has committed fraud to obtain or attempt to obtain an immigration benefit;
    • Criminal waiver – criminal convictions can have immigration consequences and sometimes these consequences can be waived;
    • Unlawful presence waiver – for those individuals who have been unlawfully present in the U.S for at least 180 days and have departed and become subject to the 3 year bar to re-entry or for those who have been unlawfully present in the US for at least 12 months and depart and become subject to the ten year bar to re-entry;
    • Provisional waiver – for those who are Immediate relatives of U.S. Citizens and currently in the U.S. but not eligible to adjust to permanent residence and therefore required to apply before the U.S. Embassy in their home country. This type of waiver allows for a recommendation of approval from the U.S. Government prior to the applicant departing the U.S. to appear for their Immigrant Visa interview therefore, possibly shortening the duration of separation between the applicant their relative.
    • Cancellation of removal – a waiver for certain individuals who are permanent residents or non permanent residents in removal proceedings before the Immigration Judge.
    • Nonimmigrant visa waiver – a waiver of most immigration violations for an individual who is applying for a nonimmigrant (temporary visa) to the U.S.

    If you have questions about whether these waivers or any others apply to your situation, please contact our firm for a free office consultation.

  • Analysis of criminal convictions relative to immigration issues :

    Anyone arrested in the U.S. who is not a US Citizen, should consult with experienced immigration counsel concerning immigration consequences prior to pleading to any criminal charge. Criminal convictions can result in deportation and therefore, have detrimental consequences to non US Citizens. The individual could be subject to the following:

    • Inadmissibility at the port of entry after travel abroad;
    • Deportability from the US and subject to removal proceedings before an Immigration Judge;
    • Inability to retain permanent residence status;
    • Ineligibility to qualify of Naturalization (U.S. Citizenship);

    If you did not consult with an Immigration Attorney previously and have already been convicted of a criminal offense to have your situation evaluated for immigration analysis/relief from removal please contact our law firm.

  • Cuban Adjustment Act :

    If you are a Cuban National in the U.S. and would like to apply for permanent residence, please contact our law firm.

  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS) :

    A country is granted Temporary Protected Status benefits through the U.S. Attorney General and covers nationals of countries who are in the U.S. on the date required when the Attorney General announces Temporary Protected States for their respective country. Temporary Protected Status is reserved for countries that have experienced national disasters such as an earthquake, hurricane, flood, drought and the foreign country is unable to handle the return of its nationals. Temporary Protected Status is also established to provide a safe haven to nationals of countries where civil war exists.

    Currently, an example of countries on the list are Liberia, Syria, Haiti, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Somalia, Sudan and South Sudan.

  • Requests for prosecutorial discretion and deferred action :

    Deferred Action For Youth – NEW Filing Procedures Announced August 3, 2012

    Preliminary information indicates that eligible applicants must:

    • Be 15-30 years old, and have entered before age 16
    • Have been present in the U.S. for 5 years as of June 15, 2012
    • Have maintained continuous residence
    • Have not been convicted of one serious crime or multiple minor crimes
    • Be currently enrolled in high school, graduated or have a GED, or have enlisted in the military

    The deferred action offer will be available to those in proceedings as well as to those who apply affirmatively.

    Prosecutorial discretion – if you have a special circumstance or strong ties or equities in the U.S. and are currently in removal proceedings you may qualify for this type of discretionary relief.

Additionally, we represent clients in Appeals and Motions to Reopen before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO), and the Board of Alien Labor Certification Appeals (BALCA).

Contact Our Miami Student and Work Visas Attorneys

To discuss your case, please call us at 305-358-1500 or contact our offices online. We strive to return all phone calls within 24 hours.

Falamos Português • Se Habla Español